bad days fishing! help needed.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

bad days fishing! help needed.

Post by asmith on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:06 am

hello everyone, i only joined last week so not sure if this post is in the right place, went to my local fishery today never fished it before, fished on pole using pinkies over pellet, but not had a very good day got there about 9.30 and they had a group of people in the edge of water and around the island banks cutting back the reeds, so i had to fish opposite end. from the start the wind was blowing heavy from my right. i stayed here till they had finished cutting the reeds but only had 2 small skimmers. i moved location to a differrent bank wing now blowing behind, and within 10 min i had another couple of skimmers, but from then on the bites became few and far between, i had caught 9 small skimmers by 3.00 and then the heavens opened and down came the hail stone so i packed up and called it a day. the owner did give me my money back as it had been a poor day and the reed clearing didn't help it. so that was a decent guesture from them.
but they have a match comming up and i would of liked to have entered it, but as ive never fished a match ever and after todays bad form i dont think it would be a good idea, i need some help, whats best way to fish a venue if its cold and windy, and any tips on what i can do to increase my catch rate thanks for any help. Embarassed

asmith

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: bad days fishing! help needed.

Post by bigal on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:49 pm

Where did you fish?

bigal
A DAB HAND
A DAB HAND

Number of posts : 151
F.S.H :

Back to top Go down

Post by ray on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:37 am

welcome to the site mate, we would need more info on the venue and conditions to be able to offer any resonable advice, somebody might know the water and chip in.

ray.

ray
New'ish Member
New'ish Member

Number of posts : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by asmith on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:19 pm

ye sorry forgot that part, its not in st helens as ive recently moved house due to work. langley lakes, preston its only been fished from last april, but well stocked carp, skimmer, roach, and even just added some barbel around 4lb mark.
( i know its not st helens , but i joined here because i still try and fish st helens with my nephew when hes off school.)
its about 5ft deep all round , but when fishing it, i had strong winds blowing from my right side direction, it wasn't that warm about 9 oC according to car temp. and i was fishing pole off bottom size 14 hook 4 pinkies.
i should have got maggots instead i think.
i fed a "golfball" size ball of soaked pellets and fished over that. in 2hours i had 2 small skimmers 15cm length, after each catch i put 8-10 pinkies and a smaller ball pelet in with cup.
i then moved places with wind behind went deeper and fed same had more luck with 8 skimmers same size in same time,
but no other type of fish and deffinatly not enough to win any match.
should i be using different method or bait, would you always fish over depth in winter.
any help would be aprecated. thank you. sorry about length of post.

asmith

Back to top Go down

Post by bigal on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:19 pm

Maybe you was fishing a bit too boldly with 4 pinkies on a 14's. I would scale down a little and try 3 swims. One close in, one in the middle and one out fishing to a feature if possible. Fish pellet over micros on one, maggot or caster on another and choose one for your bigger fish. I personally would fish over depth to start with until you find the fish. Just rememet that it isn't summer yet so feed lightly until the fish are feeding confidently. If you overfeed, it could be end of swim. Lots of places are still fishing slow at the moment so don't worry too much.

bigal
A DAB HAND
A DAB HAND

F.S.H :

Back to top Go down

Post by asmith on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:46 pm

hi big al, thank you for your advice, lol thought about putting more pinkies on so they could see it, with the micros do you soak them or use them straight out of pack i was soaking them. right ok well got some days off this week so im going to try again, any good hook pellets out there and size. bought some but there not very good "sonubaits f1's"
there far too soft and just break up as i put the on .
but weather is good next week so i'll try some of your tips. thank you. and if any one else wants offer any tips i need all the help i can get .

asmith

Back to top Go down

Post by bigal on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:23 pm

To be honest 2 pinkies is generally enough, 2 maggots would be better with an 18's hook. With micros I put half a bait tub full and cover with water and leave for 30 seconds then empty water out or use it for groundbait mixing. I like ringers pellets in 4 or 6 mm but make sure you prepare them right. I do mine before I go fishing. Obviously feed more micros than hook pellets. You should catch just slightly overdepth using a half gram float with a size 16 or 18 hook. If the fish are having it then you could go to a 14's hook with the 6mm pellet.

bigal
A DAB HAND
A DAB HAND

F.S.H :

Back to top Go down

bad days fishing help needed

Post by woody 1 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:06 pm

where did you fish m8 and what fish did u go after
woody 1
TOP POSTER AND VALUED MEMBER
TOP POSTER AND VALUED MEMBER

Number of posts : 365
F.S.H :
: :

Back to top Go down

Post by asmith on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:46 pm

langley lakes near preston, match lake stocked with carp, skimmers, barbel ,roach.

asmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum