FISH ST HELENS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

blackbrook canal

4 posters

Go down

blackbrook canal  Empty blackbrook canal

Post by clarkey1 Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:20 pm

any info on blackbrook canal near the sewage factory is there still any fish in there and what kind is it still st helens aa.

clarkey1

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

blackbrook canal  Empty Re: blackbrook canal

Post by Tight Lines Swift Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:16 am

It has been a good few years since I fished that end of the canal. I tend to stick to the Basin. I spoke to the ranger of Sankey valley a couple of months ago and he told me there were still plenty of fish down that end. There used to be some very good roach, rudd and bream in there, I am told they have been washed down as fry from Carr Mill Dam for years. It was pretty over grown a few years back, dont know if it has been cleaned out recently as a lot of money has recently been spent on Sankey Valley.

Tight Lines Swift
New'ish Member
New'ish Member

Number of posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post by graylinghunter! Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:15 am

It still looked pretty overgrown a couple of weeks back if anything it need the silt removing..

tl graylinghunter
graylinghunter!
graylinghunter!

Number of posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tight Lines Swift Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:57 am

That is a real shame as I had some good fishing days at that end in my younger days. It is another case of "what are St.Helens AA doing with our licence money"?. However, St.Helens AA may not have a choice in keeping it clean I dont know. I will try and find out from a ranger if I bump into one again.

If it is heavily silted up as well it does not look good for fishing any more.You used to see some big pike lurking around as well.

Tight Lines Swift
New'ish Member
New'ish Member

Back to top Go down

Post by graylinghunter! Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:13 am

Tight Lines Swift wrote:That is a real shame as I had some good fishing days at that end in my younger days. It is another case of "what are St.Helens AA doing with our licence money"?. However, St.Helens AA may not have a choice in keeping it clean I dont know. I will try and find out from a ranger if I bump into one again.

If it is heavily silted up as well it does not look good for fishing any more.You used to see some big pike lurking around as well.

To honest thats what I was looking at.. My Dads mate Vic Mcglue used to fish for pike there years ago. Last time I looked it had too many reeds and silt to hold any big ones.
Tried a lure across the basin without a sniff

I remember one taking a duckling when i was i kid and i was scrambling along the bank....taking a long short cut...that was more effort than it was worth at the side of the church.
I shi....t myself as it was a big one. I can still remember it leisurely sinking back through the weeds into the water after it had taken the duckling...
It was a right fresh water barracuda Very Happy
graylinghunter!
graylinghunter!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tight Lines Swift Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:14 am

That would have been impressive to see, especially in clear water and the fish just slowly sinking into the deep.

I remember sitting and watching many big fish and some very big pike in the pool at the bottom of what used to be the old locks as the canal drops from the sewage works. When the sun was on that pool it was amazing how many fish was in that pool.

The pike used to just sit there and the fish swam around them with not a fear in the world of the pike. I guess this is all overgrown and silted up now and the fish long gone.

Tight Lines Swift
New'ish Member
New'ish Member

Back to top Go down

Post by graylinghunter! Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:30 am

Will have a walk down over next couple of days and take some pictures..........
once we get a thaw I will cover it with some pike flies
graylinghunter!
graylinghunter!

Back to top Go down

Post by vaughany628 Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:44 am

hi. you are better fishing a suspended dead bait in the pool under the old lock over the next few days while its flooded with the dam defrosting, i only fish there at this time of year and had 2 out of there on wednesday ( 29th dec ). i dont bother on the top pool as i never get a run.
vaughany628
vaughany628

Number of posts : 19
F.S.H : blackbrook canal  5a461de7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down