FISH ST HELENS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

carr mill dam

+3
marcus
Tight Lines Swift
ukphil
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

carr mill dam Empty carr mill dam

Post by ukphil Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:04 am

Hi, My m8 told me if i wanted fish carr mill dam ill need waders, is this true

ukphil

Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

carr mill dam Empty Re: carr mill dam

Post by Tight Lines Swift Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:23 pm

I would not go as far as waders but wellies at least. A lot of the pegs sit away from the bank now, due to the speed boats the bank away.

Tight Lines Swift
New'ish Member
New'ish Member

Number of posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post by ukphil Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:56 am

Thanks for the reply TLS just 1 or 2 more questions

1, Whats the average depth
2, Whats a good way fish feeder or pole
3, Any info on carr mill dam is good info

Thanks

ukphil

Back to top Go down

Post by marcus Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:16 am

aint got a clue on the depth its just deep lol just fish feeder with braid mainline to see every bite, fish with the line clip on so you it the same spot every chuck and swimstim with pinkies for feed and a peice of worm or a red maggot on the hook should bring you a good run of skimmers Wink
marcus
marcus
TOP POSTER AND VALUED MEMBER

Number of posts : 1314
F.S.H : carr mill dam 708ea916

Back to top Go down

Post by ukphil Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:02 am

Thanks for the info marcus

ukphil

Back to top Go down

Post by johnwoods Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:38 pm

depends where you want to fish if yo need waders or wellies

the pegs were built well out to stop them being vandalised in some places the bank has been moved further into the water than it was and you can now fish from the platrorms with boots the same goes for the dam end.
tip is usually good but on some spots the pole or dare i mention a waggler will score well
johnwoods
johnwoods
A DAB HAND
A DAB HAND

Number of posts : 214
F.S.H : carr mill dam 7db0e9a0

Back to top Go down

Post by marcus Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:29 pm

i wouldnt like to fish waggler on there other than the roadside! though it has to be said its a much more enjoyable method compared to tip fishing! how are you getting on john not seen you for a while? are you still doing the pac stuff
marcus
marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by johnwoods Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:37 pm

not any more i try and get to the meetings but i left the commitee as my job changed and i couldnt get to many meetings

still a member though

as for the waggler fishing i like it off the wall the sunnies the drops but then i cant fish a pole for toffee
johnwoods
johnwoods
A DAB HAND
A DAB HAND

Back to top Go down

Post by marcus Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:50 pm

nothing lasts but at least you did a good stint for the club john ! it is a great method on its day and not used enough these days
marcus
marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Tight Lines Swift Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:32 am

What has happened to all the lillies at carr mill. years ago there used to be loads down the roadside and down by the arches end. Last year there were not many at all. It used to be good waggler fishing within all the lillies and weeds many years ago. I know it is winter now so you cannot see them but a walk around the dam last summer, I was suprised not to see them.

Tight Lines Swift
New'ish Member
New'ish Member

Back to top Go down

Post by THE 1 Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:21 am

the lillies were all kill off by the club to allow pegs to be fishable
THE 1
THE 1

Number of posts : 511
F.S.H : carr mill dam 167ec439

Back to top Go down

Post by Tight Lines Swift Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:13 am

That is just crazy. However, it does sound like a St.Helens AA thing to do. All they needed to do is manage them but for ease they just kill them off, getting rid of some valuable features in the water to fish up against. The more I heare about St.Helens AA the more I think I am going to get a newton AA permit this year.

Tight Lines Swift
New'ish Member
New'ish Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnwoods Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:07 am

it wasnt deliberate though it was meant to make channels through the weed to allow fishing, the company that sprayed the lillies messed up and sprayed on a windy day.

i happen to think that st helens aa are probably the best club locally they dont bend over to the carp lot, they have sensible rules etc

johnwoods
johnwoods
A DAB HAND
A DAB HAND

Back to top Go down

Post by Tight Lines Swift Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:16 am

That is a massive cock up by the company, I hope St.Helens AA got some good compo for that. I used to love fishing down the roadside and down by the arches during the summer and catching tench. Does anyone know if gudgeon are still around on the sunnies?

That is the best thing about St.Helens AA, they dont bend over to the carpers, I agree with that. Although, carp anglers have a place as well and I am sure revenues for the AA would go up if there was, say a good head of carp in Carr Mill.

Tight Lines Swift
New'ish Member
New'ish Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnwoods Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

what do you have any idea how many carp are in there Razz

the last season i fished for them i had one of 18 ish that still had its curtains intact
that would have 2004ish so six years on fish like scar and voodoo will have had some others coming along to challenge them for the top spot
johnwoods
johnwoods
A DAB HAND
A DAB HAND

Back to top Go down

Post by Tight Lines Swift Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:57 pm

What is the record carp out of the Dam? I have seen pictures of decent size carp from the Dam but I dont know the largest ever caught.

Also, were is the best place to hook into these carp now all the weeds are gone from the roadside and the arches? I would guess over by Sandy Bay. I have never set out to catch carp on the Dam, are there many smaller ones as well?

Tight Lines Swift
New'ish Member
New'ish Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnwoods Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:04 pm

still the same old places on there will produce carp, the best way to catch them on there is simply to find them spend a couple of hours walking round and you will see some roll in summer

as for the current record i couldnt be 100% but the biggest was around 22 and thats a trusted weight ive heard of fish going bigger but most have been dubious including the 30 claimed a few years back
johnwoods
johnwoods
A DAB HAND
A DAB HAND

Back to top Go down

Post by ACI11MUFC Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:37 am

is it good for bite allarm fishing for carp over there were best pegs

ACI11MUFC
New'ish Member
New'ish Member

Number of posts : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by Tight Lines Swift Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:12 am

I have seen many carp anglers over by the sandy bay area of Carr mill in the bay area. This seems to be the only place these days with lillies and stuff left around the dam. I would guess this would be the best place for the carp. It would be good to hear of some of the carp pegs on the dam as I have never targeted carp on there before. THere also used to be a very good head of tench along the roadside. Since all the lillies have gone does anyone know if they are still present doen the roadside or have they moved somewhere else?

Tight Lines Swift
New'ish Member
New'ish Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnwoods Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:35 pm

carp on carr mill are everywhere if you want to catch them look for them when you see them rolling that is where to fish
johnwoods
johnwoods
A DAB HAND
A DAB HAND

Back to top Go down

Post by Tight Lines Swift Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:26 pm

What is the best method to catch them on in Carr Mill. I am not a big fan of sitting listening to a bite alarm so I may be at a disadvantage on a water this size. some suggestions would be great.

Tight Lines Swift
New'ish Member
New'ish Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigal Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:25 am

johnwoods wrote:carp on carr mill are everywhere if you want to catch them look for them when you see them rolling that is where to fish

That's ok in theory but it doesn't always work like that, I've fished the dam a lot over the years and I've seen a couple rolling where I have been fishing. I don't think I've ever had a carp out of there, just because you see the odd one rolling doesn't mean that all the carp are feeding and feeding in that area, the dam is a big place. It isn't thought of as a carp water, hence the reason why they don't come out in any numbers. Sure they are in there but its not as easy as walking round and finding them

bigal
A DAB HAND
A DAB HAND

Number of posts : 151
F.S.H : carr mill dam 9dd11ebe

Back to top Go down

Post by Tight Lines Swift Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:05 am

It is a big water and I struggle to find any features which would attract carp on the Dam. I used to see them rolling on the edge of the lillies along the roadside, but as all the lillies are now gone I have not seen them for some time rolling.

Why does the Dam not seem as popular as it used to be. I walk around there on a regular basis and years ago there was always many anglers fishing but not anymore. Are anglers simply fed up with feeder fishing?

Tight Lines Swift
New'ish Member
New'ish Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigal Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:51 am

I fished last Wednesday on a nice sunny day with no wind and there was nobody else fishing, I could hardly believe it

bigal
A DAB HAND
A DAB HAND

Number of posts : 151
F.S.H : carr mill dam 9dd11ebe

Back to top Go down

Post by johnwoods Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:57 am

bigal wrote:
johnwoods wrote:carp on carr mill are everywhere if you want to catch them look for them when you see them rolling that is where to fish

That's ok in theory but it doesn't always work like that, I've fished the dam a lot over the years and I've seen a couple rolling where I have been fishing. I don't think I've ever had a carp out of there, just because you see the odd one rolling doesn't mean that all the carp are feeding and feeding in that area, the dam is a big place. It isn't thought of as a carp water, hence the reason why they don't come out in any numbers. Sure they are in there but its not as easy as walking round and finding them

it is the way to go though, its not unheard of getting 20-30 carp out in a session with a lot being doubles.
and if all the carp fed in one spot at once in there that would be a very busy swim (lots and lots of carp in there)
johnwoods
johnwoods
A DAB HAND
A DAB HAND

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next